1)Why do you do what you do,Or what makes you tick ?
After seeing The Posiedon Adventure in ’72 as a little kid, I decided I wanted to make movies. The more destruction and stuff going on, the better. I started to look at films and try to figure out how things were done.
2) Your style is compared to some of the greats of low budget,ever heard before ?
I don’t understand this question. It’s written in broken English. Did Dave Sterling help you with this? Low Budget guys I like are Brett Peiper, because most of his films are fun and have old school effects. I like Rolfe Kanafskey, Mark Polonia. Jay Woelfel’s Live Evil is a lot of fun, but I worked on that, so it doesn’t count.
3) One sentence descriptions-
David Sterling: Good with ideas for low budget films, screws up everything else. Almost impossible to work with.
Randal Malone Nice, sweet guy
Ford Austin: Like the “Brad Pitt” guy in “Living in Oblivion.”
Ron Jeremy: Self promoting attention whore, but nice guy.
Jeff Burr: Only guy I’m friends with who directed major movies with stars. Mucho respect.
4) IF you were given more $$$ would you make a better movie ? Spend it in what areas ?
I always try to make a better movie, no matter what the budget. I’d shoot in a real studio, name actors, a real movie crew, a good script would be great. I cut way too many corners and it usually shows in the final product. I’m wearing all the hats, so the films have a one man band kind of feel.
5) BEST of JTL on/off set ?
Not sure I understand these two. On the set I try to treat everyone with respect and try to make everyone feel comfortable, while trying to crank out all the shots I need. An easy going, but busy set.
6) WORST of JTL on/off set ? The only really bad experience I’ve had was I was shooting something with Joe Castro called Near Death. He tries to make his movies in two straight 24 hour days. On the last day, I had a complete meltdown and started screaming at everyone. I was exhausted and sick of the whole thing. That was the last time I ever worked for Joe. Don’t miss him.
7) You have’nt acted often,Good/Bad thing ? Actors are like dogs. I don’t want to play Fido today. Maybe if I got to make out with a hot girl or something…
8) “The Screaming”,Did L.Ron’s Tribe ever come a knockin’ ? I wish. We could have used the publicity. South Park did the whole thing so much better.
9) Vinnie Bilancio Vs Sean Cain in a ” Celebrity Death Match”…Pick a winner ? I’ve never seen either of them angry at anybody, so it’s hard to picture them beating each other up.
10) OK,JTL,Lay it down for your fans…Buy my films because – I make films that I would enjoy watching, and hope there are enough weirdos out there like me. Buy my movie, so I CAN MAKE ANOTHER ONE. It’s like a heroin addiction. I really try to make fun movies that are not boring. That’s the worst thing a movie can be. Anyway, I hope this helps you out.